Last Updated: 6/21/23
This policy contains important information about privacy practices. We summarize the key points from each section below:
- What personal data do we collect? We collect the following categories of personal information: identifiers, customer records, protected characteristics, internet or network activity, employment information, and sensitive information. You can find more details on those categories below under our “Collection and Use” heading.
- How do we use your personal data? We generally use the personal information we collect to communicate with you, personalize your experience with us, provide you the services you request, maintain the security of our services, and comply with our legal obligations.
- How long do we keep your personal data? We will delete your information based on our record retention policy, but we may keep it for longer when legally required.
- What personal data do we sell or share? We use third-party services that monitor certain activity on our website and across the internet in order to improve our user experience and provide you with useful advertisements. To the extent that constitutes selling or sharing your information, we only allow the services to collect Internet or Network Activity. You can opt out of such sales or sharing by clicking here.
Collection and Use
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household (“personal information”).
When you provide us information on the contact us form, we use that information to reach out to you and offer products we think you may be interested in. We may sell the information to third parties to market insurance products that may be of interest to you. Below we describe what personal information we collect, how we use it, and when (and to whom) we may disclose that information.
During the last 12 months, we may have collected the following categories of personal information:
|Category of Information||Examples of Specific Pieces of Information|
|Identifiers||Name, postal address, email address, IP address, Social Security number, driver’s license number|
|Customer Records||Name, signature, Social Security number, postal address, telephone number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, employment, bank account number, credit card number, or debit card number|
|Protected Characteristics||Age, citizenship, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including pregnancy)|
|Internet or Network Activity||Personalize the website experience to deliver content, products, and service offerings relevant to your interests. Maintain or improve the safety, security, and integrity of our website, information systems, databases, and other technology assets|
|Employment Information||Current employment-related information|
We may also collect the following categories of sensitive personal information: medical information, demographics (such as citizenship and ethnic origin).
We collect personal information from the categories listed above from one or more of the following sources:
- You, such as when you request a quote, fill out an application, file a claim, use our online services;
- Your transactions with us;
- Service providers who interact with us in connection with the products and/or services we provide;
- Digital resources, such as cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, and other recognition or tracking technologies.
We may collect and use the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- Personalize the website experience to deliver content, products, and service offerings relevant to your interests. Maintain or improve the safety, security, and integrity of our website, information systems, databases, and other technology assets;
- Provide you with the services that you request, such as by completing transactions, processing registration, providing quotes, or processing your application for one of our products;
- Communicate with you, such as responding to inquiries or providing you with information about products that may be of interest;
We do not use sensitive personal information for any purpose other than those referenced in 1798.121(a).
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing notice.
We use deidentified data for certain purposes, including to perform statistical and other analyses and to conduct research to improve our products and services. We will maintain the data in deidentified form and will not attempt to reidentify the information. If we disclose deidentified information to another entity, we will do so in a way that is designed to prevent reidentification.
In the last 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information to the following categories of entities:
- Financial institutions: Identifiers and customer records information
- Payment processors: Identifiers and customer records information
- Data storage providers: Identifiers; customer records information; protected classifications; biometric information; professional or employment related information; audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information
- Business communication and collaboration partners: Identifiers; customer records information; protected classifications; biometric information; professional or employment related information; authentication data; audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information; geolocation data; and commercial information
Cookies and Similar Interactive Technologies
In addition to the advertising cookies noted above, we use other cookies on our website to ensure the site functions and to improve the user experience. One of the cookies we use is for Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics on our website to help us better understand how consumers interact with our website, such as what they engage with on the site, what they search for when they visit certain pages, and what type of content they prefer. The information we gather gives us insights to improve your online experience, refine our products/ services, and more. You can learn more about Google Analytics, including how Google uses information collected with its tool, by clicking here view Google’s explainer on it uses information from sites using Google Analytics.
Interactive Services Notice, Consent, and Disclaimers
Sales and Sharing
We may obtain information about customers or potential customers from third parties. We use the information to market and offer products. We may also sell that information to other third parties.
In the preceding 12 months, we may have sold personal information to third parties to market insurance products that may be of interest to you.
We may also allow third parties to collect your personal information who then use that information to provide you targeted advertising.
Targeted advertising cookies used for cross-context behavioral advertising are considered “selling” and “sharing” personal information under applicable California privacy law.
As a California resident you have the Right to Opt Out of the Sale or Sharing of your personal information.
To opt out of online sales and sharing of personal information, you must:
- Reject marketing cookies in our cookie preference center or enable an opt-out preference signal (such as the Global Privacy Control) on your browser.
To opt out of offline sales and sharing of personal information, you must:
- Submit a request using our privacy portal or call 888-305-7832.
We recognize opt-out preference signals for the browser sending the opt-out preference signal. If you later visit our website without sending the signal, we will continue respecting your opt-out request if we are able to verify you previously sent us a signal (and did not later opt in to sales/sharing). We honor the opt-out preference signal for on-line sales and sharing only.
There are various implementations of opt-out preference signals, which are often a browser add-on or setting, so we recommend following the instructions for your preferred variation. Once you have properly configured your signal, we will automatically process it in a frictionless manner for online sales. In other words, we will not (1) charge you for using it, (2) change your experience with our services, or (3) display pop-ups or other notifications in response to your opt-out signal (except we may display some indicator acknowledging your request).
California law provides you specific rights regarding your personal information, and we discuss below those rights and how you can exercise them. We understand the importance of these rights, and we will not discriminate against you for exercising them. You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access twice within a 12-month period.
Right to Know/Access
Subject to some limitations, you have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information. You can ask that we disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you;
- Our purpose for collecting selling or sharing your personal information;
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclosed your personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
Once we process your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose the information you requested—unless an exception applies.
Right to Delete
Subject to some limitations, you also have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we have collected. Once we process your verifiable consumer request, we will delete your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
Right to Correct
Subject to some limitations, you have the right to request that we correct inaccurate information about you. If we received a verifiable consumer request, we will begin processing your request for correction. We may ask you to submit additional information to help us evaluate your contention that our information about you is not accurate. And, sometimes, we may delete your information rather than correcting it—but we will only do this if it will not negatively affect you, or you consent to the deletion.
Exercising Your Rights
We only honor verifiable consumer requests. We offer three ways to submit such a request:
- Completing the form on our privacy portal.
- Calling 888-305-7832.
- Directing your authorized agent to submit a request using our agent and vendor privacy portal.
Only you or your authorized agent may make a request related to your personal information, unless the personal information concerns a minor (i.e., a person younger than 13-years old). If your request is via an authorized agent, we may still verify your identity directly with you and/or confirm that you provided the agent with authorization. For minors, a parent or guardian must make the verifiable consumer request on the minor’s behalf. If you are an agent making a request, we require additional documentation. Specifically, written permission from the consumer.
We will attempt to verify your identity by comparing the information you provide us with the details we have in our records. Sometimes we may ask you for additional information to help us in the verification process. When you use our online form, it will ask you for certain information. When information is designated as being mandatory, that means we will be unable to verify your identity (or the identity of your authorized agent) without it. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot both verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm that personal information we have relates to you.
Updates to this Policy